Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It is Human Nature but why……!?!?!?!?!?!?........................................

Two hundred people. Children, teenagers, and adults alike are pushed up against each other in what is supposed to be a nice, orderly line. They are striving (rather ferociously) to get closer to Henry & ACF Team towards the ultimate prize, a simple Christmas gift. It wasn't so much to me but to them it was Christmas LUWOMBO (Read Buffet), just a plastic bag filled with some candy, biscuits (a.k.a. cookies), Clothes, scholastic materials, yet these bags were the reason for the riot.


Ridiculous.
A plastic bag containing sugary treats, clothes and other assorted items.

That's it?!
These people would do anything to receive one (or more) bag. Their desire for this gift burned so strongly that they only thought about themselves. All the pushing, shoving, and meanness because of selfish greed. Even though I can understand the desperation of so many there which fueled the greed, I still found it shocking and saddening.
Back home, in Kampala, such a gift wouldn't have caused such chaotic commotion. If I had their life, though, how would I act? I'd like to think that I would be more civilized and considerate of others by not trampling them over, but, to be honest, I doubt that. My actions would probably be no better than those they had executed.
Whether African, American, or any other nationality, we're all humans. When we desperately need or want something, myself usually comes before others. Selfishness and greediness drive us until we get that something.
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

~ Philippians 2:3-4
Since it's human nature to be self-centered, it seems impossible at times to live out this verse. Numerous circumstances have occurred where I acted selfishly. It's impossible for me to look to the interests of others through my own determination and strength. I am weak. So why would Paul have written these words if it's impossible? ...the Spirit helps us in our weakness...

~ Romans 8:26

The Lord says,

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."

~ 2 Corinthians 12:9
Basically, it's only through Him that I can be transformed and produce good fruit, such as goodness, kindness, patience, etc. He is the answer. Simple as that. Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment.